yolink search

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Thing #21

Google has so much to offer educators that I don't know where to begin. Google calenders can be used to let students and parents know what will be coming up in class as well as to let them know what has been missed during absences. I also learned that it could be embedded into a webpage, which means it could be embedded into my moodle as well as their classroom wiki review as a reminder of the test dates. 



Google Talk can be used to have video or audio parent conferences when the parent is unable to meet face-t0 face. Google SketchUp can be used to make a virtual 3D rollercoaster which will be an interesting activity because it teaches students to learn how to make plans in a virtual environment. Another great resource that Google has provided is Google Translator which translates the content of any webpage to another language. The translator will not only translate the site, but any links that are a part of it as well. The value of this to ELL students is beyond anything else I can ever do. The translator will also show them the content in English so they can compare the 2 languages side- by- side. I am definitely attaching a link to this to my moodle. I will even have a quick before or after school tutorial to show them how to use it if they don't already know. I believe this will allow their English to really grow because it shows them the equivalent information in their native tongue, so that they are not only learning English, but they are also learning the content as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment