yolink search

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Thing #11

DSC_0246_2 hangman tile red letter C letter I letter E letter N IMG_5584 E IMG_5533 letter S F U IMG_5617_5 Caution!

from "Spell with flickr" by kastner

Uploaded from flickr, photo by Image Editor

Browsing flickr was more of an experience than I thought it would be. I thought that it would be really easy and simple to find a few pictures about science and then I would be done with this topic quickly. Instead, I ended up finding out that people tag their photos with very generic things that may or may not be related to the word I used for the search. When I typed in "physics" and "chemistry" I kept running into construction site images, when all I was really looking for were images of people performing interesting experiments. The topic I want to create a slideshow about is the different ways that science can be fun and not just a difficult subject that you are forced to take in order to graduate. I plan to use the slideshow as an introductory tool next year or as a writing prompt for TELPAS. I will use the Flickr website next time I want graphics for a presentation or if I want to show my students some examples of vocabulary. I appreciate having another source for finding photos, especially one that only allows you to search for those that already have the Creative Commons license. 

1 comment:

  1. Other people's tags can sometimes be confusing. As you go along you'll begin to notice some consistency. It is nice to be able to tag things with any word that makes sense to us though!

    ReplyDelete